some unnatural things

some unnatural things

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Widow's Ghost

I smiled back at her, then turned my attention back to the TV where Elvis was just starting to sing a song. That's when it hit me: the lady that smiled so sweetly was not only a stranger, but was transparent! I could see the dining room table and the window right through her. It reminded me of seeing your reflection in the glass of darkened window. I say "standing," but she really didn't have legs from the top of her thighs down. She seemed to be a swirl of smoke, but I could see her face and upper body clearly. When what I'd seen registered with me, I quickly turned my head to look again... but she was gone.
I didn't tell my parents what I saw that night until years later. Mom told me how my sister would say how a lady in a long dress would pull the blanket up over us at night. I often wonder why my sister, the original "Nervous Nelly," never said a word to me about it. Was the lady that made me feel so warm and fuzzy that night one of the elderly widows? – Brenda S.

No comments:

Post a Comment